Brantford Cold Cases

Police considered it a cold case when the investigation expels all of its leads and evidence without solving the case. In the city of Brantford, there are currently three cold cases.

The first cold case occurred on September 8th 1983 with the disappearance of 25 year old Mary Hammond. Hammond left her Elgin St. townhouse at 3:30 am, cutting across a field towards the bakery she worked at on Morton Ave. When Hammond did not make it to work the police were contacted. Police followed her footprints but only found items from her lunch and pieces of clothing. The police never found Hammond. Police investigated a suspicious vehicle parked near the bakery, but never located the truck.

In 2012, the case was reopened as Police executed a search warrant for a house on 143 Market St. Police performed a forensic search, but the case still remains cold more than 30 years after the disappearance of Hammond.

On Friday April 8th 1994, truck driver Michael Lovejoy was making his return journey to Michigan after picking up parts in Buffalo. Travelling westbound on the 403, Lovejoy pulled over a kilometer and a half east of the Wayne Gretzky Parkway overpass. Lovejoy proceeded to take off his socks and shoes to have a nap in the bed in the back of his truck.

On April 9th, Lovejoy was found dead after being shot multiple times. Despite receiving over 300 tips, the case remains unsolved. Numerous tips from witnesses claim they saw a male park a transport truck with similar markings and paint behind Lovejoy’s truck. Witnesses state the man then got out of his truck and walk up to Lovejoy’s truck. However, this man has not never been identified.

The final Brantford cold case occurred on Thursday July 28th 2005, when a women walking her dog discovered a full-term baby boy near an abandoned train tracks near Dufferin Ave and Parkside Drive. A police investigation was launched to discover who the mother was.

On August 3rd, Police received a letter from a woman claiming to be the mother saying she would be in contact with them. However, no further contact was made. Nine days later, police released two pieces of the letter from the public hoping to find a way to identify the mother.

The baby was laid to rest on August 17th, given the name “Baby Parker.” The name was given to the baby after the street, Parkside Drive, where the baby was found.


Author Note: Another class assignment, and one I would like to revisit and rewrite in a longer format. This assignment had only 600 word count. This has really sparked my interest in cold cases and could see myself revisiting the topic and maybe even writing a book if I ever had the financial resources to dedicate that much time and money into the topic.



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s